Why does a change block require a vote?

I’m trying to understand the reason why a block that changes a representative requires a majority vote.
The scenario I’m thinking about is a 51% attack in which the nodes have this voting weight through delegation and then have the ability to veto change blocks to maintain their delegation.

1 Like

Interesting thought. Trying to think through the ramifications - what problems might be caused by rapidly sending multiple change blocks (with different reps) to different segments of the network without waiting for confirmation? Unusable voting weight from voting weight oscillation?

As we use state blocktypes, I'll ask the opposite question. Is there a reason not to vote on a block that changes rep with no balance change? It's just another block in the chain. As it becomes the frontier it is critical that there is consensus on what the frontier is so that the following block (change in balance or not) can be confirmed.

That attack is an interesting concept. It's the same concept if the Nano Node operators decided to fork purposefully. For example, refuse a particular address from sending any transactions.

3 Likes