Sharding (or local networks)

Hey guys! First of all: love Nano, love the tech and the community.

I've been thinking a bit on what it would take to have Nano (or any crypto) as a true currency for a country or more. And it would take a (very) high TPS/CPS rate (I think in the order of the 10k or more). It doesn't feel (for me) that Nano will get even close if the tech doesn't change a lot (although I might be wrong).

But the fundamentals of Nano are amazing. So I thought "Ok just split it, when adoption large enough" and you'd get a network for Munich, one for Prague, one for Buenos Aires, etc. And they would probably have high enough CPS for their traffic.

When I want to send a transaction to somewhere inside my city (or whatever), I'd just need confirmations/votes from nodes in my city. If I want to send to a person in Tokyo, both mine and his network would need to confirm (the exact algorithm is not thought through). The statefulness of Nano seems to make this easy.

You can always, of course have "global shards" where a sub-net has nodes in different countries or continents, if it fits its purpose. I'm just imagining "traffic zones" not "geo zones"

Important note: I'd still like to maintain address globally unique. So now naming system to translate my "Lisbon address" into a "Singapore address"

P.S. I know about Nano sharding (next-level block lattice) but it seems to propose a different thing.

Let me know what you think! :smiley:

I was thinking about having a soft fork of nano-node in order to create a local crypto in my town :slight_smile: . I just need a smart exchange beetween a global nano and the local one as prices could vary depends on my town economics success :innocent:

Extrapolating on your statements. This might or can be simplified if support for something I like to call trusted domains existed. Basically nano network is treated as a base permission-less network, interconnecting these trusted domains. Thus rather than creating a fork with separate code base. Nano could be designed to allow these network extensions to exists.

Domain setup would require deposit of nano and registered conversion rate between local domain (new network) vs base domain (nano network). Nano network will only maintain a registry of these trusted domains. In addition, a creation of a unique rep address will be created to represent new domain to base domain.

Some of the local domain responsibilities would include:

• Local consensus (based on existing nano model)
  • Local ledger nodes

So user, groups, companies, countries, etc... can easily test out their localized digital token. Ledger transactions remain local to said domain. Local value can be withdrawn and moved to base network.

The benefit of this design is for better fault isolation. Local economy is not interrupted and/or stopped due to base domain having issues.

Just spitballing on this topic, since it's an interesting one. I do believe any global currency platform design should replicate the structure of the internet.

2 Likes