Discussion Regarding Unit Names

That’s something too! I would be in favor of changing the main unit to 1024 rai, but that would mean that the rai would have two names―rai and yoctonano. But in the future, if the price of Nano increases, it would still be simpler to say “nano” than using confusing prefixes.

Edit: The main unit should be 1024 rai.

I suggest using "ray" instead of "rai" to avoid the same pronunciation confusion we had with "Raiblocks".

I think the units are fine the way they are. We just need to stop using NANO/Nano and call it Mnano. As of today (Nov, 2019), If I have 1 USD I can buy about 1 million nano or 1M nano.

1 Like

It should just be Nano for a full nano and nanites for the smallest unit. Keeps it simple.

As long as we call the smallest unit a "Rai", I am happy. Perhaps call the Cent a NanoCent or CentaNano.

CentiNano as in CentiMeter

2 Likes

Much better, sparkcrz.

Here when we talk about the local currency, we just say "cents", and if talking about other currencies we say "cents of x" (eg. "50 cents of dollar"). So it would be 0.50 NANO would be "50 cents of NANO".

The SI prefixes are also cool for other smaller and bigger numbers, because even the little children understands SI prefixes after learning them at school.

I miss the XRB denomination, but XNC would be fine too for NANO.

1 Like

NANO (Nano, nano) - 10^30
rai - 10^24
raw - 1

1 NANO is 1 million rai

i think this is the least confusing option

2 Likes

I like this suggestion a lot, because it doesn't fight with real world convention. Everyone already uses NANO/Nano/nano to refer to Mnano (10^30), and everyone knows that Raw is the smallest unit. Renaming 10^24 from nano to rai removes confusion without forcing mass behavior change, and it still allows SI units to work

1 Like