Discussion Regarding Unit Names

Recently we opened the discussion about changing the unit names we standardized here: https://docs.nano.org/protocol-design/distribution-and-units/.

Confusion around NANO/Nano and nano specifically started the discussion, and we would like to have more community discussion on this as well as naming other units within Nano to standardize UX and development nomenclature.
The basic suggestion is shifting things up a couple spots so NANO/Nano/nano is all 10^30 and then using the SI Prefixes going either way (but not explicitly defining them as they aren't likely to be used). The exceptions are defining micronano (10^24) because it has been previously used as naneroo, etc.

What do you think of these proposed changes to standard naming conventions?

6 Likes

I think this is a good decision. MNano is known and used by everyone as Nano know. The only concern is when(not if :stuck_out_tongue:) Nano is a global currency and valued a lot higher, most transactions will be used with «cents» or microNano i guess.

5 Likes

The proposed change avoids a lot of confusion - especially for newcomers.
Using SI Prefixes is just the professional way to do it.

4 Likes

I think NANO and micronano are pretty established terms, but I'm not sure about calling 0.01NANO a cent is a good idea since it is already a unit a currency so people might think it means $0.01USD.

Perhaps something like centanano or something, I think NANO should still be in the name

3 Likes

The proposed changes make sense to me, but what about the global currency symbol of Nano? Is it still XRB? Is it Nano or NANO? (Is this even valid if it doesn't begin with an X?)

1 Like

The ticker for Nano on exchanges is either NANO or Nano, though we don't have a single symbol for Nano yet. I wonder if there is anything already in Unicode that would work.

1 Like

True, calling it nanocent or centnano makes clear what's the base currency even without context.

2 Likes

Right. I think that makes sense when using an SI derived unit by itself. However, just as people say 5 euro and 25 cents, I think it works to say 5 Nano and 25 cents. Many currencies have a similar translation.

6 Likes

Sure, using it the way fiat currency is used, is the way to go - not only in terms of language! :grinning:

There you have your context and of course don't need Nano as part of the cents term. But what if there's only nanocents and no Nano? I mean, it's possible that Nano is some day worth more than today leading to bills with only fractions of 1 Nano.

1 Like

I agree, when the context is not clear, use the full SI unit name

2 Likes

Nano
nanoc (nanocent)
nanom (nanomicro)

1 Nano = 100 nanoc = 1000000 nanom

3 Likes

This would help to avoid many difficulties beginners have when they start to use Nano. If this is officially accepted, the units will be much more clear and easier to use.

Also, the cent is a valid unit. If you want to add “nano” to it, it would be called centinano.

The only problem I see is that, using SI prefixes, there would be a unit called nanonano (1 nnano = 1021 rai), which sounds pretty strange to me.

2 Likes

As long as we drop “Raw”

To be honest, “micro” is a pretty silly name for currency at first blush. “Yes that will be 200 micro nano for your banana”.

I still love incorporating “Rai” at some level of denomination. It’s a subtle callback to the origination much akin to a “satoshi” with bitcoin. “Stacking Sats” is such a great term.

“Pay with Rai” was a good slogan

4 Likes

To be accepted by ISO 4217 as a non-national currency, "X" is required to begin the code. Some interesting discussion about this about a year ago on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/nanocurrency/comments/9zqr03/weekend_discussion_shifting_the_decimal_place/. Although the discussion revolved a lot around decimal place shifting, there are many thoughts in the over 300 comments about units, currency codes, etc.

6 Likes

Totally agree we need a "x" ticker!

Most logical seems to me: XNC (Nano Currency)

4 Likes

XNC is good

When googled, the only thing that pops up is a Cisco XNC Controller

XNN you get the ticker for Xenon
XNA is an airport
XNO is a musical group

7 Likes

XRAI as ticker would be neat I'd it had to be changed. Otherwise for subunits I'm fine with whatever is not confusing such as Nano Vs nano Vs NANO. Nanoshi? Pico would also be logical.

2 Likes

"raw" can stay the way it is. alternatively make it a "Colin"

rai is established for µXRB so i would use it for just that again. micronano sounds too silly anyway.

Cents are debatable.. It's an undesirable ambiguity in my opinion. Technically it's centinano. Cento would work for me.

4 Likes

XNC is the best option in my opinion.
"NC" standing for "Nano Currency".

5 Likes

To my mind the current set of SI prefixes are fine. The only problem is that Mnano is confusingly called "Nano/NANO". That convention should be dropped so that NANO, Nano and nano are the same thing (10^24). What we currently call Nano now, would always be referred to as Mnano.

I agree that nanonano is confusing, but that's what you get for naming a currency the same as an SI unit. There's no way to address that confusion without changing the name of the currency.

6 Likes