Currency symbol

Had a designer come with some ideas regarding a currency symbol for Nano as part of his job for my Nano project. I thought I could share it here, perhaps it might spark some interest and discussion.

And sorry about the low quality, don't have access to a high res one at the moment.

10 Likes

These are some good designs, imo it needs to be something easy enough to be written or drawn on paper like the classics $, £, €.

So something simple but unique

3 Likes

Ñ = N with the Nano logo over it

254.64Ñ

10 Likes

I like "Ñ". :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah, I like that one as well!

1 Like

It does have the advantage of not needing extra Unicode since you can approximate it with Ñ

5 Likes

I really like these logos. I think the third one is the best, because it is similar to already-existing currency symbols. The problem is how to type this is a computer without the need for a new Unicode symbol.

That looks like a good solution. Ñ is a good symbol because it is already incorporated to Unicode and is used in Spanish. Consider also its lowercase variant “ñ.”

A quick example: 1 234 567,89 ñ = 1 234 567,89 Ñ (just to see how it looks).

4 Likes

1 234 567,89 ñ = 1 234 567,89 Ñ

Yeah, I think that looks really nice, with both upper and lowercased. Could the lowercased one be used for 1/1 000 000 of a Nano?(micronano, or whatever it ends up being named)

3 Likes

So you say 1 ñ = 1 µÑ? Maybe that’s a bit akward, but that will depend on the desires of the community. Personally I prefer 1 ñ = 1 NANO.

I like the idea of using the spanish n is a good idea, but I dont think ñ and Ñ should denote different amounts. This will cause the capital/lower case confusion that we currently have with NANO vs nano

7 Likes

I like the idea of the lowercase ñ as it’s closer in-line with the actual symbol used for describing nano-measurements.

3 Likes

Yeah, fair point. We really want to avoid seeing another nano/NANO thing going.

But I do think we would benefit from having a nice symbol/notation for either cents or micro(or whatever it ends up being named) if we want to avoid the use of a lot of decimals for everything. One thing is if Nano goes a lot up in price at some point, but another point is that we aim to be a global currency with a focus in developing countries where 1 Nano might be a lot of money. But perhaps µÑ works for that?

2 Likes

I'd suggest the letter "N" because it has the following advantages:

• Exists on any Latin keyboard already. I don't even have the GBP symbol on mine, or the Yen, or Polish Zloty. Therefore I would say that, while you could probably get a new symbol stuffed into Unicode, I don't see any chance of it being put on a keyboard. With N already being on a keyboard, it's no problem.
  • N is very simple, anyone can write it.
  • Ñ and ñ don't do anything better than N - again it's less typeable
  • N with another Nano-N on top, you'd have to squint your eyes to really see it anyway

So I nominate N.

8 Likes

“N” is already used for the newton, a unit of force. And the “ñ” could be less typeable, but many people have smartphones and there you should only long-press the n key to be able to see it.

4 Likes

True but m is also milli and meters. Probably not the only letter that has several use cases in science or as a unit in general.

2 Likes

Yes cool,didn't even know it worked that way. Good tip :+1:

1 Like

At least "Ñ" is easier than typing "₿".

4 Likes

Ñ boom. That easy. It was the first option when I held my finger on the N key.

6 Likes

I vote for 3rd. option or simple "N"

It guess that for countries with letter Ñ it does not sounds that cool.

https://forvo.com/word/%C3%B1/#es

N with a horizontal line through it.
#3. Simple and easy to recognize

2 Likes